As most people say, the perfume we wear is like a small representation of who we are, and it is. Smelling good builds the confidence of the wearer and makes them feel good about themselves, reflecting on what people may think of them. Not only do women need to leave a good impression with a good scent, but men, in particular, need it too.
Fortunately, fashion houses don’t get tired of trying and matching new ingredients to produce fragrances that suit everyone according to their preferences. However, since there is a range of fragrances of several billion units in the industry today, it is quite difficult to make a choice. To help you out, here’s a list of the 4 best colognes for men that you can check out and discover some new treasures to try:
Best Colognes For Men With Sexy Smell
Florame Woody Freshness (100 ml)
If you are looking for an eau de toilette that combines a low price with an impeccable composition, this option should convince you. Formulated around sweet, fruity and woody notes, it is fresh and natural.
Florame Woody Freshness with its fresh, discreet and natural fragrances. If it starts with rather fruity notes on a citrus base, it takes on a heart that is both fruity and flowery, then fades into a more woody, typically masculine sweetness. Its additional assets? It is offered at an unbeatable price and is certified organic – while being free of potentially harmful substances. You may need to reapply it during the day – which, considering its price and composition, is not really a problem in the end. And if you are looking for a slightly more wintery scent, note that Esprit Vetiver may be a good option.
Calvin Klein Everyone (100ml)
This mixed fragrance particularly convinces men with its fresh, iodized and woody notes. Pleasant to wear on the return of sunny days, it expresses the freedom and provocation of modern man.
If it is intended for mixed use, this cologne more particularly appeals to men with its power and the depth of its spicy and woody base notes combined with a heart of blue tea. However, it remains fresh and slightly fruity thanks to the presence of citrus and iodized aquatic notes, which makes it an ideal option when returning from sunny days but which remains portable in any season. The downside? Its composition will seem much more prohibitive.
Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme (100 ml)
Intense and fresh at the same time, this perfume seduces with its timelessness and excellent hold. Mediterranean, flowery and woody, it is light and takes you on a trip along the coast.
It is a Cologne that we recommend if you are looking for a fresh, delicate but masculine scent. Thanks to its scent that shines without ever weighing down the atmosphere and its long-lasting hold, it is an ideal perfume to wear on a daily basis, but which in no way denotes a social evening. It goes superbly with the spring and summer months while being suitable for all seasons. Finally, its elegant frosted glass bottle has all its charm. But, a victim of its own success, it is a fragrance that is sometimes considered a little too worn, and its composition would also benefit from being safer.
FiiLiT Cyclades Irida (100 ml)
It is the only fragrance in our selection, which explains its rather high price. At the same time fresh, intense and original, this balanced creation benefits from an excellent hold and an equally top composition.
Both fresh and full-bodied, this mixed fragrance particularly appeals to men thanks to its deep notes. Formulated from essential oils – including the soothing and balancing Neroli oil -, it evokes escape and sunny days, while remaining portable throughout the year. Its bergamot and petitgrain top note seduces with its spicy tone, while its resinous and woody heart then gives way to a rich trail of patchouli, myrrh and papyrus. Its bottle topped with a wooden cap is also both refined and charming. In short, it is an option to discover if you have the means. And in 50ml, you can find deeper notes with Surya and Tumboa .
How to choose your men’s colognes ?
Choosing the right scent that will best represent your personality is essential, as it not only influences how people perceive and remember you, but also determines how you define yourself.
Whether you are looking for your new fragrance or want to please your other half, it is not always easy to find your way around in the field of perfume, as the choices abound on the market.
We have therefore concocted a guide for you containing the essential elements to consider before any purchase.
First, be aware that perfumes come in several forms, the concentration and price of which sometimes vary greatly:
- Eau de Cologne : sometimes improperly associated with men’s perfumes in that they were the first to seduce the genre, it actually designates the less concentrated version of a perfume. This mixture contains around 3 to 6% of aromatic essences, and lasts only a few hours on the skin before fading.
- Eau de toilette : a little more concentrated (between 7 and 12% approximately), it generally lasts at least 3 to 4 hours on the skin. It is often the preferred formula by men, and especially those who choose to wear a perfume for a special occasion rather than for a truly everyday use. Therefore, most of the perfumes that you will find in this review are actually eau de toilette.
- Eau de parfum : With a concentration of 12 to 20%, the eau de parfum generally lasts about 6 to 8 hours. This is the favorite version of these ladies – as you can see if you take a look at our comparison of the best perfumes for women .
- The perfume : it contains 20 to 40% of aromatic essences, which allows it to last a whole day. It is also, you will imagine, the most expensive. So, although we use the generic name of “perfume”, it is actually very rare to wear an authentic one.
You will then have to determine the fragrances that appeal to you the most. Know that, for more richness and subtlety, each perfume is made up of three characteristic notes of its evolution:
- The top note : this is the most volatile odor, the one you can smell directly on application and which generally does not last more than two hours (most often, it evaporates even after 15 minutes) , to leave room for the heart note. We find there the lightest scents or delicate floral scents such as lavender.
- The heart note : it is the predominant, central and characteristic scent of the perfume. It develops over several hours, and generally consists of deeper and more intense floral scents, fruity and sweet fragrances, or even “green” and spicy scents.
- The base note : we find there rich and heavy scents capable of lasting the day – even several days – and which begin to be felt only after a few hours. It is the base note that determines the total duration of your perfume. Among the frequent base notes, we can cite vanilla, sandalwood, leather, tobacco, musk …
Finally, it is always interesting to learn about the composition of the products we use, and to be aware of any harmful ingredients that may be found in our perfumes:
- BHT : Butylated Hydroxytoluene is used in cosmetics for its antioxidant properties, but is suspected of being an endocrine disruptor. And, in addition to being likely to destabilize the reproductive system of men and women, it is quite allergenic.
- Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate : of synthetic origin, it is often used for its anti-UV properties in cosmetics. Unfortunately, he too is suspected of being an endocrine disruptor.
- Benzyl salicylate : once considered safe, this allergen now raises many questions. It is planned to assess its potential harmfulness and carcinogenicity in the course of this year. If in doubt, you might as well avoid it when possible.
- Perfume : this generic term hides many substances, whether they are of natural origin (such as essential oils , for example) or synthetic. Both are likely to cause an allergic reaction in sensitive people. Synthetic musks are also quite controversial, whether for their disastrous environmental consequences or potential harm to health.
- Phthalates : used as fixatives in fragrances or deodorants , their presence is quite difficult to detect since they often slip under the name “perfume”. They are recognized as dangerous to health, and some of their variants are already banned.
The choice of a perfume is very personal, it is difficult to present products that will suit everyone. We have therefore tried to include in our selection options likely to appeal to various profiles.
Tips and tricks for wearing cologne for men
Wearing cologne isn’t just about picking up the first one with a pretty bottle and spreading it out every day. There is so much more than the art of wearing a perfume. Let’s start by discussing where on your body you should apply cologne.. If you put it in the right places, a little can go a long way. Apply cologne to areas of your body that create heat, such as the back of your neck, chest, forearm, wrist, elbow, and jaw. These are your pulse points. The heat that emanates from these areas helps push the aroma of your cologne into the environment around you. A single spray or swab should suffice in any of these areas. And don’t do them all at the same time; choose just a few. Never put cologne on your clothes as it can stain them.
If you want your cologne to last a long time on your skin, take a good, hot shower before putting it on. The steam from the shower will open your pores, making your skin better able to absorb the scent of cologne. Then apply a good moisturizer, like shea butter, before applying it. Cologne dissipates quickly on dry skin . Specifically, apply moisturizer to your pulse points. You can also try putting cologne on your hairbrush if you like because your hair holds the scent well. Do not put the product directly on your braids, as it can dry out your scalp.
You will have to stop using scented soaps and aftershaves if you want to use cologne . You don’t want the smells of one to mix with the other; it will just result in an unpleasant muddy smell. Also check the expiration date on your colognes. Many people don’t realize that cologne only lasts about three years. After that, its natural oils die off, leaving you with an acidic smell. As a precaution, always try a small amount of new cologne before applying it completely. You want to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction. You will also find that some scents harmonize better with your natural scent than others, so although a particular cologne may smell great on a piece of test paper , it may not be as pleasant to apply to your skin.
How to apply cologne for men?
Pulse points are a great place to apply cologne. Proper application of these points can help maintain a long-lasting odor.
What is better between aftershave and cologne?
This is a matter of personal preference. An aftershave balm is thicker than a splash of cologne and has a higher percentage of moisturizing ingredients, which helps keep skin hydrated without any irritation.
How to prevent the perfume from deteriorating?
Without a doubt, the best and safest way is to follow the manufacturer’s directions, if there is one. However, some general measures apply to the whole city of Cologne. For example, you should not leave the vaporizer open when not in use. Keep it closed until you are ready to apply it. Store your perfume in a dry place, not in the bathroom.
Where on the body should you apply cologne?
The areas where you apply cologne on the body play on its outfit. If applied to an area of heavy sweating, the effect of the product is short-lived. To preserve the scent of cologne, we advise you to apply it to the part of your body which sweats little such as the neck, wrists, etc. It should be noted that cologne contains fragrant substances. which may cause allergies in some people.
What is “essence” in perfumes and colognes?
The word “essence” used here is nothing more than a concentrate of perfume, in the form of oil or juice. These oils are taken from a plant or wood extract depending on the manufacturer’s choice, to give your cologne a good scent. These concentrated perfumes will then be diluted in ethyl alcohol or denatured ethanol with distilled water, to neutralize the large amount of perfume in a finished product. And the freshness that we feel comes from the alcohol which accelerates the evaporation.