As confirmed by many scientists, the effectiveness of electric toothbrushes is now indisputable in the fight against plaques and various oral ailments. However, the purchase of this equipment remains quite delicate. There are parameters that should not be overlooked in order to make a wise transaction. Beauty By Bloom will tell you about it in this review.
Today, electric toothbrushes are increasingly popular and adopted by consumers. They offer invaluable time savings, professional cleaning and have the advantage of being connected, some of which can even be controlled via a mobile application. The efficiency of brushing with such a device is twice that of a traditional brush. Major brands such as Oral-B and Philips are leading the way in this expanding market and are marketing models that are more efficient and complete than ever.
For this comparison of the best electric toothbrushes, we have tested several, paying particular attention to the so-called connected ones. Following our selection, do not hesitate to take a look at our buying guide.
5 Best Electric Toothbrushes (Reviews & Tests) of 2021
1. Oral-B Pro 2 2500 CrossAction
First of all, this item shows off an elegant design with its clean finishes and classic black colourway. The color immediately seduces with its side combining simplicity and chic look. The product comes with a case that serves as a storage kit while on the go.
The handle of this equipment is coated with rubber maximizing grip during operations. Between two uses, you can count on its base which acts as a charging base and storage medium.
Regarding its performance, this device incorporates the brand’s tilt-and-turn technology. It is combined with the CrissCross bristle module to ensure optimal and thorough cleaning. The latter is also able to tilt at an angle of 16 ° to reach difficult areas. The onboard battery on the other hand provides about two weeks of battery life so you don’t have to charge it frequently.
- Two brushing modes: This model exhibits two options that you can select according to your preferences and needs. Besides the normal function, there is the gentle mode for people with sensitive teeth or gums.
- Practical technology: This equipment incorporates systems aimed at improving your comfort during use. A timer informs you when to change the dial and an indicator lets you know with a light if the pressure you exert is too strong.
- Quite long power supply time: Users criticize this accessory for the battery charging time, which takes around 15 hours.
2. Oral-B Pro 2 2000N CrossAction
Obviously, if you want to be completely happy with your purchase, you will need to look to the best brand of electric toothbrushes. And on this point, Oral-B has proven itself for a long time. The manufacturer’s CrossAction Pro 2 2000 N only reinforces this notoriety.
This model appeals to consumers by its ergonomics. The grip on the handle optimizes grip, whatever the situation. The assembled rounded head and fine bristles are suitable for individual tooth cleaning. The timer informs you that it is time to move from one part of the dial to another. These performances are based on the designer’s tilt-and-turn technology.
When in use, you have the choice between two modes: the first is fully dedicated for gum care and the second for standard maintenance. Once the battery is full, it can last for a dozen days.
- Ergonomic: The handle includes a rubber coating simplifying the handling of the whole. There is no risk of it slipping out of your hand despite the humidity that may be present on the part.
- Operating indicators: This model has indicator lights that light up when you hold the handle too hard or when the battery requires charging.
- Increased performance: Able to tilt at 16 °, the brush manages to perform a deep cleaning of the teeth.
- Absence of a case: We would have appreciated a pouch with the purchase to secure the transport of this equipment when traveling.
3. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean HX9359 / 89
If you want to know which is the best electric toothbrush on the market, you can check out consumer feedback on the performance of Philips DiamondClean. This model embeds revolutionary innovations resulting from the latest research in the field.
With a modern design, this reference brilliantly combines simplicity and finesse. It catches the eye at first glance. On the handle, you will find the easy-to-access activation button, but also an indicator so that you know the state of the battery. It is also capable of holding up to three weeks at full load.
Regarding its features, you will be dealing with five distinct modes to accommodate according to your needs: Clean, Sensitive, Gum care (massage of the gums), White (whiteness of the teeth), and Deep Clean (in-depth). These options are conditioned by the Sonicare sonic system capable of reaching 62,000 movements/min at full throttle.
- Efficient: Many technologies go into the design of this model to optimize its performance. In particular, there is the AdaptiveClean / C3 Premium Plaque Defense brush head, which allows dental plaque removal 10 times more efficient than manual equipment.
- Several modes: This specimen embeds five different techniques for cleaning your teeth. All you have to do is select the one suited to your expectations. The adjustment is made at the level of the handle.
- Charging time: Users find that a dozen hours on the mains is quite considerable.
4. Philips Sonicare HX6807 / 51
Comparing the best electric toothbrushes on the market remains inconceivable without integrating the Philips brand. Indeed, the brand advances many products whose performances are unanimous among buyers. Sonicare HX6807 / 51 is one of them.
This specimen is endowed with the sonic function and seduces consumers by the presence of various innovations which have the role of giving you optimal convenience during your jobs. We distinguish in particular the Quadpacer which informs you on the moment to pass from one zone to another, the Smartimer warns you at the end of the process, the BrushSync TM memorizes the duration and the pressure, the EasyStart will help you in your beginnings.
This device has a rechargeable Li-Ion battery that will give it two weeks of autonomy when full. As it is customary to change your brush every three months, this device has a sensor to let you know that it is time to replace yours.
- Several integrated technologies: Many systems come into action to boost the performance of this model while preserving your comfort of use. Among them, we find the Philips Sonicare, the Quadpacer, the BrushSync TM or the Easystart.
- Getting started: The Easystart system allows progressive accommodation of the head during the first jobs to facilitate adaptation time.
- Effectiveness: The W2 Optimal tip offers satisfactory results after only a week of use.
- Slippery handle: The handle does not have a non-slip coating, which makes it somewhat difficult to grip when you have wet hands.
5. Braun Dental D100 Cross Action
This model from Braun has as main qualities: simplicity and efficiency. Embedding Oral-B’s tilt-and-turn technology, it has an interesting cleaning performance.
This device includes a rounded brush for easy access to difficult areas of the mouth. The bristles are able to tilt at 16 ° to maximize the deep infiltration of the accessory, and, while ensuring the protection of the gum. In addition, there is a two-minute timer that lets you know when your cycle is finished.
One of the strengths of this device is also it’s handling. Thanks to the rubber structure of the handle, you will carry out your movements in safety, without fear that the component slips between your fingers.
- Ergonomic: The rubber covered handle prevents slipping. The grip ensures grip even if your hands are wet. Thus, the risk of slipping is minimal.
- Removable head: The tip can be removed if necessary. Maintenance then becomes easy. You can also replace it with other modules from the range while keeping the body.
- Basic functions: Some people find that this model lacks options. Despite this, he fulfils his mission brilliantly.
Buying Guide’s Electric Toothbrushes
How to choose the best electric toothbrushes for 2021? This is a question you should ask yourself before proceeding with any transaction. Indeed, if you obtain a model unsuitable for your expectations, the maintenance of your oral cavity will suffer. Here are some parameters to keep in mind when you are on a price comparison site.
Generally speaking, you will come across two types of technologies when you visit a buying guide for the best electric toothbrushes. They each have their own specificity and efficiency depending on the cleaning mode you prefer.
– The sonic brush: it takes an elongated and rectangular shape while approaching the concept of the manual accessory. Head movement is up and down. The handling remains easy and this material will satisfy you if you are new to the use of these modules.
In addition, these copies vibrate slightly, but you get used to it quite quickly. In addition to that, they perform a sweeping gesture to reach hard-to-reach areas of your mouth. The most advanced models can even go up to 31,000 movements in one minute.
– The oscillating-rotating brush: we recognize it with its small round head similar to the tools encountered at the dentist. It is especially suitable for people with a small oral cavity. These specimens advance a relatively simple technique.
The tip rotates in one direction and then the other while enveloping the tooth to ensure optimal deep residue removal. This technology remains the most efficient with a movement capacity of up to 48,000 in one minute.
Type of feed
If you want to know how to buy a better value electric toothbrush, be sure to identify the feeding method. This factor conditions the autonomy of the equipment. On this point, you will have two options on the trade:
Battery operated: these models remain suitable for consumers who tend to travel frequently. Indeed, all you need to do is bring spare batteries with you to prevent the device from failing at an inopportune time. This is a good solution if you mainly venture into areas where electricity is not always available.
With integrated battery: these require a connection to the mains for recharging the battery. However, they are more environmentally friendly than the previous ones if you have this notion of preserving the environment in you. They remain more suitable for stationary uses, that is to say, at home, in your bathroom in daily use.
You don’t have to rush to find an address to buy a new electric toothbrush. Consideration of the size of your future equipment should not be overlooked. Here, we focus mainly on the dimensions of the handle. This parameter is one of the factors determining your comfort during use.
The selection of the size of your accessory will be done mainly according to your morphology. If you opt for a model that is too wide, you should expect premature fatigue of your hand, unlike a specimen that is too thin which will be inefficient when you apply pressure.
In any case, therefore, make sure that the material in question fits well in your hand so that you do not encounter any difficulty when gripping. This criterion can also become decisive in the choice of a device for your child. Take into account the size of his mines.
If you want to go a step further in the quest for the best electric toothbrush, you can also count on the additional features added by the manufacturers on their equipment. These options are intended to improve your user comfort. However, do not forget that the more innovations the model embeds, the less accessible it will be in terms of price. Roughly speaking, a basic reference will always be cheaper than one equipped with various active technologies.
Among these systems that are usually found on the market, we find for example the targeted cleaning of the teeth or the polishing mode to ensure optimal maintenance. On some devices, we are dealing with practical options such as the massage of the gum or the timer which informs you when to move from one zone to another.
In commerce, it is not uncommon to come across so-called connected items. We can pair them with our smartphone or tablet via an application. The latter allows monitoring of the frequency and consistency of brushing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to brush teeth with an electric toothbrush?
Similar to a manual toothbrush, the electric category also requires the right actions to optimize its efficiency. In general, connoisseurs recommend movements corresponding to the technology adopted by the equipment.
For sonic models which are based on the vibrations of the hairs, it is applied in the same way as when using a manual specimen. That is to say, the movements will be made from the gum to the tooth, up and down with an angle of 45 °. Depending on the width of the gadget, we will be able to brush several teeth at the same time.
If your equipment benefits from the tilt-and-turn system, the brush will usually advance a rounded appearance. This in order to wrap the teeth one by one to clean them thoroughly. So, you then have to put the head of the accessory on one tooth and then switch to another after a few seconds.
As for the amount of toothpaste, it is not necessary to use it a lot. A small amount is more than enough to wash your entire oral cavity. Place the appliance on your teeth before turning it on, and do not take it out until you are finished. For more efficient maintenance, you can divide your mouth into four dials (two at the top and two at the bottom). Start with the top one and move from one zone to another after 30 s.
How long is the recommended brushing time with an electric toothbrush?
The advice of specialists and dentists is mainly focused on regular brushing for three minutes after each meal of the day, that is to say, in the morning, at noon and in the evening. However, keeping up with this pace is not always easy. This is why some recommend only two two-minute brushings. You have to carry them out after breakfast and dinner. The two minutes are further divided into 30 seconds for each of the four areas of your mouth.
For or against the electric toothbrush?
The electric toothbrush has many advantages when compared to its counterpart with manual operation. Among these assets, we find remarkable efficiency in the removal of dental plaques. These are the cause of inflammation of the gums and cavities.
The use of this equipment also limits the formation of osteoarthritis in the wrists, hands and fingers. Indeed, during their use, it is enough to hold them and they carry out the work in complete autonomy. Depending on the technologies on board, you will just have to point the gadget into your mouth. Ease of use is there.
How to properly clean an electric toothbrush?
After each use, it is recommended to rinse the brush head under running water to remove toothpaste and other residues. For drying, leave in the open air in an upright position. For deep disinfection, you can soak the head in a glass of hot water with 3-4 tablespoons of white vinegar for half an hour. Remember to rinse thoroughly to prevent the taste of vinegar from sticking. Replace the brush heads every 3 to 4 months or when the bristles start to discolour or fray.