People engage in sport for a variety of reasons: to lose weight, keep fit, train for a competition, etc. Some enjoy outdoor sports. Others prefer indoor activities. And there are those who want to practice at home, on a treadmill. This equipment is very useful because it is within reach at all times. If you are going to buy one, make the right choice. Use our buying guide and our selection of models for help. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-T4400 makes it easy for you to read the data you need to know thanks to its ergonomic LCD display. SereneLife SLFTRD25 can be used with a dedicated app that you can install on your phone for smarter use.
Buying Guide – How To Choose A Good Treadmill?
Why do people prefer to have a treadmill in their homes? This allows them to start racing at their convenience. If you too want to have one, choose a model suited to your needs. Through this buying guide for the best treadmills, you will discover 3 essential criteria that this material must have.
A powerful engine
The power of the motor is one of the essential elements to know the most efficient treadmill. This index is expressed in CV (horses). It defines the top speed that the belt can reach. You must choose the model with the right power, in line with the use you reserve for it. It is therefore not a question of taking a device with the highest number of horses, but the one with a sufficient threshold.
For a treadmill intended for simple training (walking or moderate jogging), 1.5 to 2 HP of power is more than enough. Set the bar higher at 2.5 HP for faster jogging sessions (up to 10 km / h) and continuous use for 1 hour or more. Professional and sports use (running over 15 km / h), on the other hand, requires a high power belt of over 3 HP. Also, a powerful motor of more than 2 HP will be necessary for users with a body mass of more than 100 kg.
In addition to the engine power, you can also compare the mats according to their continuous power (cruising power) and their peak power (maximum power delivered). A top-of-the-range model with a peak motor of 5 HP usually delivers a top speed of 20 km / h. It is especially suitable for marathon, HIIT or trail runners. With this information, it will be very easy for you to find the best treadmill around.
Dashboard and ergonomics
How to choose the best treadmills of 2021? Be aware that most good treadmills these days have a control console. For ergonomic use, this dashboard must be complete and clearly legible. This console aims to deliver your racing prowess in real-time. It helps you focus your training on a given goal and muscle areas to work on.
This interface indicates the number of kilometres achieved, the running speed of the user (average and maximum), the speed of the belt, the number of calories burned, the time of use and practice. Therefore, do not buy the cheapest, but opt for the most ergonomic with a good dashboard.
In this sense, you have the models with a console with innovative options: heart rate, programming functions (coaching), compatibility (MP3, TV, VR, mobile application, WiFi connection, etc.), interface design (backlighting), size, touch, LCD screen, etc.) and tilt.
Remember that a treadmill can be manual or electric. Without a motor, manual models operate the belt rolling with movements of the user’s feet. The electric versions are equipped with a motor and have more functions. They are more ergonomic and more customizable. If you have a small apartment, a foldable treadmill will save you space.
A safe and efficient model
Do we often wonder what is the best treadmill on the market? To answer them, be aware that this equipment has a safety damping device. However, there are various variations of this device. You have soft cushioning, perfect for rehabilitation or punctual fitness.
Firm cushioning is suitable for regular use and strides with more bounce. There is also a security key made up of a rope and a magnet. The rope grips the user and the magnet attaches to the console. In the event of an unexpected disconnection of the key, the carpet switches to secure mode.
Outside of this system, make sure you buy a mat with a suitable incline (expressed in%). This index is used to manually or automatically vary the training programs by introducing steep routes. This arrangement helps to quickly burn fat and optimize the work of muscles in the calves, thighs and glutes. Most models offer an incline of 10% to 15%, as well as a drop of 3%. Professional treadmills deliver an incline of over 40% upward and 6% downward.
Also, where to buy a new treadmill with a running surface (tread) that matches your build? For big athletes, and XXL size (150 cm x 51 cm) is ideal for long strides.
The 5 best treadmills (reviews & tests) of 2021
Which treadmill to choose when you see more than one model of these Home fitness equipment on the market? The choice is not always easy even with the knowledge of the best purchasing criteria. To facilitate decision-making, here is our ranking of the 5 treadmills of the moment that particularly stand out.
Sunny Health & Fitness Foldable Treadmill
- Foldable: This mat folds easily, and the abatement system is flexible, so as to preserve the condition of the equipment.
- Control: It has controls to choose programs, speed, incline, and even stop.
- Comfort: Space is available to keep your phone and tablet. Another place is for a water bottle. Its tray has been designed to absorb shocks.
- Motor: Many users claim that after several months the engine hums and slows down.
- Guarantee: A guarantee system should exist in all countries, to help resolve breakdowns.
SereneLife SLFTRD25 Foldable Electric Treadmill
This Serene Life model stands out for its great connectivity. You have the option of installing the FitShow application on your smartphone. This allows intelligent use of this treadmill, through the Bluetooth connection.
This device contains 16 preset programs, depending on the goals you want to achieve. The inclination is done manually, on 3 different levels. It is a piece of equipment intended for endurance exercises, cardio, to lose weight, or to maintain shape. It is suitable for all types of runners.
This mat is equipped with USB inputs, and an SD card reader, to stream your favourite music. A built-in stereo speaker lets you listen to them while you run.
A digital LCD screen with touch-sensitive buttons shows your workout data, including the calories you burn. This model is easily installed at the time of use, thanks to the Soft Drop system. It is a durable material with a PVC coating and a thick running belt.
- Programs: This treadmill adapts to the level of each user, according to the desired running program.
- User-friendly: The application manages your exercises and you have the possibility to create your own atmosphere, thanks to the integrated speaker.
- Sustainable: Folding is easy, as well as storage. The running surface is soft, the thick-film belt is built to last.
- Arms: They are convenient for some but inconvenient for others.
- Rhythm: Some users would like to know the rhythm of their exercises, which is not displayed on the screen.
- Engine: It needs maintenance to resist for a long time.
Sunny Health & Fitness Motorized Treadmill
This treadmill, with a space of 100 x 35 cm, absorbs shocks and lightens your steps, thanks to an integrated system. It is equipped with a 1.25 HP peak DC motor. The speed varies from 0.5 to 5 km / h, depending on the pace that suits you.
It is a foldable model, easy to assemble and store. It has casters, which make it easy to move, in all places. A pause function is available, and you can schedule a countdown timer to set your running time.
An LCD screen on the distance of the front display travelled, time, speed, and even calories burned. A fixed incline gets you back to the right place.
Non-slip handlebars come to your rescue when needed. Support allows you to put a smartphone or tablet, to enjoy the race, watching videos.
- Programmable: The speed is changeable, as needed. You can program the running time you are going to do. A stop button is available.
- Practice: The casters make it easy to set up, fold, and allow you to place the equipment where you feel comfortable.
- Atmosphere: The device holder is useful for enjoying other content while walking or running.\
- Inclination: It is fixed, it is impossible to modify it. This is not for everyone.
- Speed: Maximum speed is not for those who really want to run.
NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill
How to buy a treadmill with better value for money and how do you make the right choice? It’s simple. You have to compare the characteristics of the different models available. Otherwise, you can rely on our comparison and opt for NordicTrack T 6.5 S Treadmill.
This electric treadmill stands out for its iFit compatibility. This allows him to have a large library of training programs and routes (via Google Maps).
This also gives it an automatic tracking feature as well as a statistical progress option. It’s 5 ” interface has a multi-control OneTouch button. This allows you to adjust the speed (0 to 12 mph) and the incline (0 to 10%). Its console is connected to CardioGrip sensors for handles.
Basic, this fitness device offers 20 integrated programs. Its engine has a power of 2.6 hp. It can support a maximum load of 136 kg. Its running belt measures 22 ” x 55 ”. For ergonomic use, this Nordictrack treadmill is compatible with mobile devices (iPod, MP3 player, etc.) and offers Intermix sound.
- IFit compatible: Through the iFit module, this mat simulates personalized training circuits via Google Maps. In addition, it automatically tracks achievements.
- FlexSelect cushioning: To reduce the impact of running on your joints, this model of treadmill features a FlexSelect cushioned bridge. It spares your calves and gives you a smooth run.
- IFit access only on subscription: To benefit from iFit’s professional and personalized workouts, you must have an account. The creation of this is done in addition, via a paid subscription.
WalkingPad A1 Pro Smart Foldable Treadmill
This rug has a simple design and does not require any installation. In addition, it has wheels that make it easy to move and store. You have the choice between two control modes.
You can use your own body which sets speed through your posture. There is also the possibility of automatically programming the running speed you want, through remote control. The latter allows other adjustments, which will make you enjoy this treadmill even more.
An LED screen on the front of the treadmill displays race data. It allows you to adjust your pace. This mat is compatible with the WalkingPad & KS Fit application, for more functionality.
You can install the app on a smartphone or tablet, and connect devices via Bluetooth. It’s a quiet treadmill, made to last, thanks to a belt and strong frames.
- Settings: The two types of settings allow for a variety of experiences with this treadmill.
- Simple: It is a simple model, but which offers different functionalities, depending on the exercises you want to perform.
- Remote control: It is practical because it allows you to enjoy walking or running freely. The application makes the use of the mat even easier.
- Walk: Rather, it is a device intended for walking. It is not very comfortable for shopping.
- Security: This model does not have a handlebar. This can decrease the feeling of security in some people.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to use the treadmill?
To use a treadmill properly, you should first seek the advice of a doctor to determine the types of workouts that are right for you. Then, familiarize yourself with the device: check the safety devices (emergency stop button, safety clip), discover the types of workouts offered and learn how to use the console.
On the mat, keep your shoulders back, your body straight, and your head up. Start each session by warming up at a moderate pace. The incline should be minimal to spare the joints. Remember to drink regularly. To get off the carpet, you have to wait for the machine to come to a complete stop. End a session by slowing down the speed before the device comes to a halt. Also, you have to stretch well after each workout.
How do I train on a treadmill?
In principle, training on a treadmill is done according to a goal-oriented program. To keep fit, you can jog there. Interval training or speed play consists of changing gears in which intense effort runs and recovery times alternate.
A train or progression session allows you to train at a given pace (often higher than your best time). There is also the fractional in hills to mobilize a regular effort on a fixed slope. You can vary your running sessions with your hands raised, by holding the handrails of the mat (to work the upper limbs), or even with backward or sideways steps.
How to lubricate a treadmill?
This home fitness machine requires rigorous maintenance for durability and efficiency. It is necessary to lubricate its running belt every 3 months every 200 km or under normal use. This is done more frequently on heavy use.
To find out whether to lubricate or not, you need to loosen the carpet (unplug the unit and loosen a bolt). Then gently lift the mat and check with your hand whether the midsole surface is dry or not. If it is dry, lubrication is essential.
To oil your treadmill, here is the procedure:
– Lift the tread to spray a dedicated silicone-based lubricant (3 to 5 sprays)
– Reconnect the carpet and run it at a slow speed (5km / h) for 5 to 6 minutes
– Unplug the equipment and clean the excess lubricants that overflow with a soft cloth
– Put the tape back in its place and reconnect the carpet
Treadmill or elliptical for weight loss?
To lose weight and find a flat stomach, the elliptical trainer is suitable for those who are not very athletic. You sit on an elliptical trainer. You just need to mobilize mainly your legs and arms. It works the lower and upper muscles of the body. It is a low impact because it oppresses the joints less compared to the mat.
The treadmill is intended for those who endure long-running sessions. Indeed, running requires a good physical predisposition, because you have to carry your weight stride after stride. It is high impact and burns calories quickly. However, its action is more rigorous on the joints of the lower limbs.