If you are looking for a fast, efficient hair removal method that leaves your skin feeling soft for several weeks, cold waxing should be your thing. Very simple, not requiring any equipment, this method has a great flexibility of use. The cold wax allows you to epilate anytime, anywhere and any part of the body. Not yet convinced? We tell you all about the benefits of cold waxing!
Cold waxing, how does it work?
The principle is the same as hot waxing: cold waxing pulls your hair out at the root. The wax actually acts like a kind of sticky tape that attaches to your hair. When you remove the cold wax, you are removing your hair at the same time. Depilation after depilation, the hair will grow back less coarse, finer: if the first epilations will perhaps tear you away from a few tears, the following epilations will be much simpler. The hair regrowth time will also be longer: for a few weeks after waxing, your skin will be soft and silky …
Cold waxing: for whom?
Many of us hunt unwanted hair, whether on the legs, arms, underarms, eyebrows or even the bikini line. And there are different methods of doing this, each with its pros and cons. Cold waxing can be especially helpful if you have sensitive legs or poor blood circulation. Unlike hot wax, cold wax effectively limits the dilation of small vessels and prevents redness. There is also no risk of burns.
It is a process that will also be suitable for those with dry skin because it is not uncommon for cold wax strips to be enriched with softening agents such as aloe vera or sweet almond, known for their protective, soothing and regenerating properties. Finally, for those who swear by organic cosmetics, some brands are also developing organic ranges (Acorelle, Laurence Dumont).
Another advantage of cold waxing is its practicality and ease of use. It is possible to use it anywhere and at any time. At home or at the beautician, in your bathroom or while watching TV, before going to the beach or meeting your other half … It does not require heating time, shaving cream or mixing various ingredients.
It is also possible to use cold wax for any part of your body: legs, arms, bikini line, eyebrows, moustache, etc. Cold wax is generally in the form of bands of different sizes and different shapes, ready to use, which adapt to the areas to be depilated without worry.
The disadvantages of cold wax
Although it is very practical, cold wax also has its small drawbacks. Its main drawback comes from its texture: even in strips, it cannot spread as well as hot wax on the area to be depilated. This means that small and fine hairs, down or some hairs that are difficult to access cannot be plucked with cold wax … Hairless than 5 mm long, for example, cannot be pulled out. It will therefore be necessary, before starting a new epilation, to wait until the hairs grow back and are long enough … Not very glamorous, all that, but the effectiveness is at this price!
In addition, the texture of the wax means that you will not be able to remove very easily the small hairy areas of your body, or those, like the armpits, where the direction of growth is not homogeneous.
Our tips for successful hair removal
Who says hair removal (with cold or hot wax, with an electric epilator, with depilatory cream or even with a razor ) also says preparation! Just because the cold wax method is super easy doesn’t mean you have to neglect the basics to get baby skin after the operation. A little reminder of good practices for successful hair removal.
- Make a scrub to prepare your skin before. This eliminates dead skin and limits ingrown hairs. For areas of the body such as the legs, choose a formula with coarse grains or a loofah glove. For sensitive areas (eyebrows, moustache, bikini line), prefer a softer exfoliator.
- Moisturize your skin. Even if it is a daily gesture, it is better not to ignore this step the 3 or 4 days before a hair removal session. Prefer non-greasy products so that the wax can adhere properly to the hairs.
- Just before waxing, a good hot shower is recommended. This will open the pores, facilitate hair extraction and limit the appearance of small unsightly pimples after waxing.
- Epilate with the grain! As with hot wax, it is better to epilate while respecting the direction of hair growth. Hair removal in the opposite direction to the direction of hair growth, even if it seems, at first glance, more effective, you will suffer during hair regrowth: pimples, itching, redness, ingrown hairs …
- If you feel a little pain after tearing off the wax strips, you can apply a cold compress to the shaved area (legs, armpits, face, etc.) to reduce the sensation.
- Consider soothing your damaged skin after this ordeal. In particular, you can apply a little sweet almond oil, shea or aloe vera to relieve and moisturize it.
- To limit hair regrowth, you can also use an anti-regrowth treatment between two hair removal sessions.
To avoid after a hair removal session:
- Exposing yourself to the sun. Better to wait 24 hours after
- A scrub so as not to further attack your already sensitive skin
- Alcohol-based products on the depilatory areas (deodorant, perfume, etc.) to avoid burning sensations.
All you have to do is get started!