If the mission of makeup is to enhance the look, it does not count only assets. Applied daily to the skin, if left in place, it hinders breathing. This is why we cannot repeat it enough, make-up remover is the key to healthy skin, full of vitality and turns out to be a real Swiss Army knife.
Why is it so important to remove makeup?
Clear skin and anti-pimples objective
As the name suggests, like a surface technician, “the primary function of a make-up remover is to remove make-up, dust, perspiration and pollution , to purify the skin texture, with radiance as a bonus. It prevents the clogging of the pores, the appearance of comedones and microcysts “, explains Mylène Vayssière, cosmetic chemical engineer.
The other advantage of makeup remover is the massage that accompanies it. Particularly interesting before going to bed. In addition to dislodging impurities, responsible for micro-inflammations inducing an acceleration of skin aging, it boosts micro-circulation and cell oxygenation. He plays double blow, it helps the skin to regenerate overnight and limit wrinkles and fine lines.
Anti-puffiness and dark circles action
By purifying and massaging the thin and very fragile skin around the eye, it prevents the alteration of its hydrolipidic film, necessary for its protection. Plus, it stimulates lazy blood flow engorgement on this area to help display a bright, smooth, flawless skin look.
Which makeup remover for my skin type?
“Aqueous, milky, gel, cream, balm, oil …. The choice of its texture plays a major role. It is the oil which is the most effective and can be suitable for all skin types . It has the advantage to dissolve makeup, even waterproof, without rubbing and risk attacking sensitive skin and nourishes dry skin. the oily skin can use them on condition of choosing non-comedogenic . the jojoba , of argan and an excellent lawyer in the field “, specifies our expert.
For addicts with lighter textures, a two-phase formula is a good option, its water and oil mixture allows to benefit from its dissolving action without too greasy effect.
“The golden rule is to apply it with a gentle gesture by circular movements . We skip the use of cotton too aggressive for the skin and we prefer the application to the fingers. For the gaze area, we do not forget to gently massage the fringe of the eyelashes to remove the mascara which could suffocate them, fall and break them. It is then advisable to rinse well and spray with floral water to refresh and tone the skin “, indicates our expert.
3 DIY recipes to make your own makeup remover
Make-up remover whipped balm
- 15 g of shea butter
- 15 g of coconut oil
- 15 g apricot kernel oil
- 4 g of emulsifying wax type Xyliance
- 0.1 g of vitamin E
- In a stainless steel bowl, melt the emulsifying wax, shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler.
- Off the heat, add apricot kernel oil and vitamin E, and mix everything together.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the mixture. The preparation is placed in the freezer for a few minutes to let it set a little and it is whipped again using the mixer to obtain a whipped cream-like texture to pour into a pot.
- Apply a small amount of the product to the face with damp skin, massage and rinse with clear water.
Not recommended for oily or acne-prone skin, coconut oil is comedogenic and could, over time, cause the outbreak of pimples. Take it out of the recipe and double the amount of apricot kernel oil, or replace it with jojoba oil.
Fresh make-up remover with aloe vera
- 60 ml of sweet almond oil
- 60 ml of aloe vera gel in a tube
- 30 ml rose water
- 15 drops of bigarade petitgrain essential oil
- 10 drops of essential oil of geranium
- In a bowl, pour the sweet almond oil and the aloe vera gel that you emulsify with a whisk.
- After gently adding rose water and essential oils , pour into a flask fitted with an airtight stopper.
- Shake to mix well, soak a cotton ball and remove makeup from the face.
Advice from Mylène Vayssière
This recipe is made in large quantities without preservatives, beware of the risk of microbial contamination! We add 15 drops of Cosgard preservative, or we prepare it by dividing the doses by two and we use it for a maximum of one week. Its essential oil content is high and can cause irritation, to be avoided for pregnant women and not recommended on the eye area, they are removed to secure the formula.
Its combo, sweet almond, aloe, rose water is perfect for dry, very dry or dehydrated skin, as well as for sensitive and more mature skin, it soothes and boosts skin cell repair. Its gel texture allows it to be applied to the fingers.
Biphase make-up remover with white willow
- 20 g of dicaprylyl carbonate
- 20 g jojoba oil
- 50 g of white willow hydrosol
- 10 drops of Cosgard preservative
- 4 drops of vitamin E
- All the ingredients are poured into a flask fitted with an airtight stopper.
- We shake the formula, we soak a cotton ball that we apply to the face.
Advice from Mylène Vayssière
Ultra-easy and quick to perform, this makeup remover is suitable for all skin types . Jojoba oil protects the skin, softens the tissues and regulates the secretion of sebum. White willow hydrosol is an asset for dull skin lacking radiance and it soothes sensitive skin. This ingredient is difficult to find, it can be exchanged for rose hydrosol, ideal for calming and refreshing sensitive, irritated skin and toning mature skin.
To apply it, we opt for washable wipes that are not likely to tighten the skin. As a finish, you can spray rose hydrosol to boost the anti-aging action.