The highlighter, everyone is talking about it! But what is it and how do you use it? This treatment is ideal for creating a luminous complexion. We tell you all about the star makeup illuminator.
All the stars use and abuse it on the red carpet, the highlighter has become an essential treatment for a worked make-up . Also called “highlighter”, it allows – as its name suggests – to highlight certain areas of the face. You don’t have to be Gigi Hadid or Jennifer Lopez to wear a perfect highlight! Ideal for a successful evening make-up , the illuminator can also be applied in small touches for everyday make-up . We give you all the advice to adopt a fresh and glowy complexion !
How do I choose my highlighter?
Be sure to favor a texture that adapts to your skin. Dry skin types will prefer a creamy or liquid highlighter . For combination to oily skin, you should preferably opt for a powder version so that the makeup will last all day. Also, avoid over-illuminating the middle area of the face, which already tends to shine. Normal skin can afford anything … Lucky!
What shade of glow?
At Mac, Becca, Chanel, Fenty or even Nocibé, there are many highlighter colors … Here too, you have to choose a shade close to your skin tone but especially the undertones of the skin. Does it have warm (yellow or beige) or rather cool (pink) undertones? For a natural effect, choose the right color according to your skin . More generally, fair skin will favor a fleshy or pearly rosé illuminator. For dark skin, prefer shades like champagne and gold.
Where to apply my highlighter?
This healthy glow ally is applied to certain key areas of the face that capture light.
- The top of the cheekbones: above your blush , right on the rounded cheeks for a natural glow
- Around the brow bone: apply a little product under the eyebrows and on the top of the temples for an impression of more defined and highlighted eyebrows
- On the cupid’s bow : to make your mouth appear fuller or to bring out a colorful lipstick
- The bridge of the nose : it refines your nose and brightens your complexion . For combination to oily skin, avoid putting too much highlighter on this area
- In the inner corner of the eye : apply a little illuminator as a light touch to the inner corner of the eye for an awakened and enlarged look
Which brush for the highlighter?
With your finger, brush or beautyblender , it’s up to you to see what works best for you. For a light application, we prefer a pretty fan brush. For a natural look and for beginners in the art of highlighting , an application with a finger, a ball brush or a beautyblender is easier in order to reach certain areas and to deposit the material with fluidity
Step by step to apply highlighter
Applying a highlighter can give your skin a beautiful color and improve your bone structure. The highlighter only takes a few seconds to apply because you only apply it to a few small areas of your face. However, a few touches of highlighter can brighten up your entire face. Even if you are new to applying makeup, it is easy to learn how to apply highlighter.
1. Start by applying foundation and concealer
- Use a makeup sponge or brush to blend your foundation well all over your face.
- If you have dark circles or minor blemishes, use concealer to add some extra coverage to those areas. It will also make it easier for you to draw attention to the highlighted areas.
- You can also use a concealer to map the areas where you plan to apply the highlighter. Try applying a few dots of concealer on the bridge of your nose, on your cheekbones, in the center of your forehead, under your eyes, and in the crease of your chin. Make sure to mix the concealer well.
2. Apply the highlighter on the top of your cheekbones
3. Dab some highlighter on the tip of your nose
4. Apply some highlighter in the center of your forehead
- If you want a more dramatic highlighting effect, you can sweep the highlighter all the way up the bridge of your nose, but this is optional.
5. Apply the highlighter to the inner corners of your eyes
Use an eyeshadow brush and apply some highlighter to the tip. Then take the brush and squeeze it into the corners of your inner eyelids.
- You can apply a few coats if you want a more dramatic effect or just apply a light dusting for subtle highlights.
6. Apply the highlighter to your eyebrows
The areas just below your eyebrows will catch a lot of light, so it’s a nice area to highlight. Try sweeping the highlighter across your eyebrows, the areas just below your eyebrows.
- Try to keep most of the highlighter on the outer edges of your brow bone. You don’t need to apply the highlighter all over the brow bone.
- You can also extend the highlighter towards the creases of your eyelids for an additional brightening effect
7. Add a dab of highlighter just above your upper lip
The area in the center of your upper lip is called your cupid’s arch and highlighting this area will draw more attention to your lips. Get a small amount of highlighter on your fingertip and press it on that area.
- Do not apply the highlighter on your real lip, just on the area just above your lip.
8. Apply the highlighter to the center of your chin
Highlighting the center of your chin can also help draw attention to your lips. Try sweeping a highlighter down the center of your chin.
- Be careful not to apply too much highlighter to this area. You only need a light dusting.
- If you have highlighted your forehead, try to keep the highlighter on your chin in line with the highlighter on your forehead.